Oct 11, 2011

NFCT Facebook Connections: Laurie and Team Moxie

One of the unexpected joys of my trip was crossing paths with other paddlers. In addition to leap-frogging with Pat and Jess for the first two weeks, the richness of my experience was deepened through meeting fellow paddlers Laurie Chandler and Team Moxie (Justine, T.K. and Moxie), folks with whom I initially connected with online via the NFCT Facebook's page. I was in touch with Justine very early on and we were elated to discover that we both were celebrating 50th birthdays in 2011. And that was just the start of some common bonds.

Laurie tracked me down, wondering who from Wisconsin had made a small contribution to her Paddle for Hope, something which I also learned about on the NFCT Facebook page. (Congratulations Laurie on surpassing your goal!)

Through the NFCT's Facebook page, I also found contacts and received great advice from Chris Gill and Kalmia Augustafolia. Thank you!

Before leaving Maine, I was able to meet both Laurie and Team Moxie in person. Even as I write this six weeks later, I still get goose-bumps thinking of these fortunate encounters. As Justine told me when we compared our individual excursions; "You were with us on our trip." And the same is so true for me too.


Messages from both Laurie and Team Moxie
left (and found) for me at Hurricane Island
on Flagstaff Lake.

Laurie and I look over photos and compare notes

Team Moxie (including Moxie) with Sam and I

Sistas!