Jul 12, 2011

Day 6, July 9: To Permanent Rapids

Today's Mileage: 10.6 Miles

Stayed second night at Fogarty's B & B in Saranac Lake

Portages: 0

Weather: Cloudy in the morning, blazing sunshine in the afternoon

After hitting the Saturday morning farmer's market and seeing the old wooden boat show that happened to be held the same morning, I rented a kayak and paddled the 10.6 miles of the Saranac River from St. Regis's boat launch to Permanent Rapids. Left at 1:30 pm and Sam met me at 4:30 pm about 10 minutes after I took out at Casey Rd. I had my first headwind, but it was minor. Thought the water levels were adequate for either canoe or kayak. There were some down trees in the water, but nothing that presented any problems. Made it UNDER the LaDuke Bridge (no need to portage). Realized I passed some NFCT staffers working on a lean-to? nearby after I saw their truck parked near the bridge. Didn't find the topgraphy particularly rivetting. Lots of lowland and muddy banks. You can really see where the high water took its toll on some banks.

Wildlife: Dinner plate-sized snapping turtle, small painted turtle, two blue herons, muskrat, turkey vulture

Dinner: Nonna Fina's in Saranac Lake


Launching from St. Regis Outfitters on the Saranac River